CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Cool Cabbages



Cabbages are "cool weather" crops, which means that even if we get a chilly night they'll be fine. They don't require the soil temperature high for planting, and begin to thrive almost from the moment they're in the ground.

We planted nine green cabbage. Aren't they cute? Granted, they don't look like cabbage heads yet, but trust me, they will. Soon.

And you're probably wondering what on earth I'll do with nine heads of cabbage, right? I mean, cabbage is okay but after the slaw what's a woman to do with a bushel of cabbage? I'm not big on sauerkraut (too stinky!) so that's not an option. But Hubby loves cabbage with corned beef so last year I quartered, rinsed, dried, then froze the spare cabbages. He ate cabbage all winter long, with beef and without, and the frozen cabbage was just as yummy as the fresh stuff was.

So if you've got a glut of cabbage, freeze 'em! After all, they're "cool" cabbages!

1 comments:

Sue W. said...

I want a garden after seeing all you do in yours.