CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, May 8, 2009

The Plan



Usually I scribble my "master plan" for the various gardens on paper scraps. The scraps first get tacked to a ledge in the greenhouse, then they get stuffed into my pocket during planting. The end result is I have a bunch of wrinkled, muddied, half-shredded scraps to use as reference for the following year's gardens.

This year, because I want to share the process with you, I actually printed out a plan for the big garden. I say "big garden" because square footage-wise, it's the biggest space. Yeah, we're pretty basic when it comes to gardening! Anyhow, you can see how we plan to plant the area. I've calculated about ten feet between rows so there should be decent walkways once everything grows in. I'm going to mulch the paths, and around the plants, to cut down on weeding. Although the space is large, once planted it should require very little maintenance. And since it's being filled with only half as many plants as it can accommodate, there should be lots of air circulation between things. Hopefully we'll have a good yield. Fingers crossed!

So if you're planning to plant a garden, be it large or small, I suggest first making a rough sketch of the project before you begin planting. It's much easier to move a row of tomatoes on paper than it is to do in real life. Trust me, I know. I've done it both ways and the eraser has definitely got the shovel beat!

0 comments: