CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Yellow? We Laugh at Yellow!

It's daffodil time here on the farm. Over the years we've planted hundreds of bulbs and a variety of daffodils. I won't bore you to tears by taking photos of every clump, but I thought I'd share a couple of my favorites.

One of the things I like most about daffodils is that once planted, they're pretty much self-sufficient. Deer don't eat them, which is a very good thing around here. They multiply without any outside interference, another positive. And the variety of shades of yellow, white, orange and pink is stunning.


The contrast between the centers and leaves on these is much more pronounced that the photo shows.



These are so delicate, and the cup so ruffled, that they look like the edges of a ball gown. I love these!

Pretty much the workhorse of the daffodil gardens, these yellow blooms are the ones most of us remember drawing pictures of with our Crayolas. I know I did. Did you?
The orange daffodils are due to open any day now. I'll try to remember to snap a photo of those for you to see.
Next year I'm planting pink daffodils. We have just a few of those, and they're so pretty that I decided to plant more. They're already ordered, and will come right when they need to be put in the ground.
I predict the day we've got to actually plant the new daffodils will be frigid, with howling winds and a gray, stormy sky. How do I know it will be that way? Because it always is on daffodil planting day. But these gorgeous blooms? They are worth frozen fingers and chapped cheeks!

2 comments:

Marianne Arkins said...

I have those colors, too ... for next year, I want to get the ones that are totally pink! I love daffs...and, even better? Deer and voles don't eat them!!

Dru said...

They're pretty. Thanks for sharing your garden with me, the gardenless one.